ad

Photoshop Tech Tip: How to Reduce Photoshop PSD Files w/out Using Compression Tools

As a gal with nearly a million design files to keep track of, it is vital that I do whatever possible to save hard drive space. I keep all of my files on external hard drives and backed up on my OneDrive account, but I hate the thought of so many unused files taking up tons of space. Many of my design files can reach beyond over 100MB, so finding little tricks to save space can be exciting.

While working on a file, and completely by coincidence, I discovered a way to reduce the size of my psd files without doing anything, but adding a layer within the file!! I had no idea I could do this, so I figured some of you might also benefit from this little gem of a tip I discovered.

For the tip below, I am going to use the exercise files I created for the TpT Conference in Vegas this past July. I did not have time to share these slides during either one of the sessions, so I thought I would share the tip right here with all of you. 

STEP #1: OPEN THE PSD FILE YOU WANT TO REDUCE


STEP #2: ADD A NEW LAYER ABOVE ALL OF THE OTHER LAYERS IN THE FILE

In Windows, use the shortcut key (as seen in the image below) to add a new layer. 
For Mac users:  SHIFT + CMD + N

You may also choose to use the tools menu at the top {Layer > New} or follow the arrows below to take advantage of the mini layer tool menu.


STEP #3: FILL THE NEW LAYER WITH A WHITE FILL USING THE BUCKET TOOL  (see below)

STEP #4: SAVE THE FILE!
Once you save the file, go back to the folder where you have it saved and highlight the file to see how much space you just saved!! VOILA!! 

If you were not able to attend my session at the TpT Conference in Vegas this past July - do not worry friends!! For a limited time, I am offering the digital version of the session (including all of the bonus materials) from my website for only $25.00. The tutorial is for artists already familiar with using Photoshop, but want to learn how to improve their line art.

Click on any of the images to learn more about what's included in the Digital Version of my TpT Session. Stay tuned for my video workshop series and pre-registration pricing coming soon!! 

Have a happy Wednesday everyone & thank you for learning with me! I would love to learn about some of the tips you "accidentally" stumbled upon as well. Leave your comments below and I look forward to chatting with you!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Love Notes...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...