ad

17 Fun Life Lessons to Teach Children Using Poetry from Where the Sidewalk Ends by Shel Silverstein

Last week, my son was out of school due to STREP and now it seems as though I have also come down with a case of "something" that I do not feel worthy of a Dr. visit....YET!!

Yesterday, I was so sick that I neglected all of my responsibilities and decided to binge watch Wicked Tuna on Netflix. Not a bad season to sleep to... haha

I made a commitment to myself to write three blog posts this week and I have not published one as of yet. Well... one.... if you count this as my first for this week.

Instead of trying to attempt a tutorial of any kind, I decided to do something a little more fun!!

While teaching Kindergarten, I LOVED reading to my kiddos! I am a bit of a weirdo and I can not read a book without adding voices and character... it is just who I am.. I simply cannot control where my mind decides to go when I am reading from a book.

I especially loved reading the Junie B. Jones series and anything written by Shel Silverstien, who has remained my favorite (even above Dr. Seuss) since I was a child. My favorite children's book by Sylverstein is The Giving Tree. Actually, it might just be my favorite children's book overall. I do, however, enjoy reading his poetry because it makes me laugh.. even if I am in a really stinky mood.

Since I am all sickish and feeling icky and S-L-O-W, I thought I would share some of my favorite Shel Silverstein poems that get me giggling!!

Here are my top 20 Shel Silverstein poems for teaching fun life lessons to kids... 

I have included the page numbers to all of the poems written by Shel Silverstein in Where the Sidewalk Ends (WTSE),  Copyright 1974 Evil Eye Music, Inc. Images are all taken from my copy of  Where the Sidewalk Ends by Shel Silverstein - a gift from a special baby-sitter that cherished all of these years. Thank you LAURA!!

You can grab Where the Sidewalk Ends from Amazon below!!!
#1 Pretending to be sick is so much more fun than actually being sick... for REAL!!! However, make sure to check the date before you decide to fake a sick day...
Sick by Shel Sylverstein (WTSE pages 58-59).... as performed by a 6 year old...


#2 Remember to ALWAYS take out the trash!!
Sarah Cynthia Sylvia Stout Would Not Take the Garbage Out (WTSE pages 70-71) by Shel Silverstein


#3 Don't pick your nose...with your finger!
Warning (WTSE p75) by Shel Silverstein
Image from my copy of  "Where the Sidewalk Ends" by Shel Silverstein
#4 Don't believe everything someone tells you... 
Hat (WTSE p.74) by Shel Silverstein
#5 NEVER...EVER give up on your dreams and goals!
Melinda Mae (WTSE pages 154-156) by Shel Silverstein
#6 Differences are a matter of perspective
Planet of Mars (WTSE p. 93) by Shel Silverstein
#7 LOVE - Even when you're the only one...
LOVE (WTSE p. 95) by Shel Silverstein
#8 Boasting or bragging has an adverse affect on how other's perceive you
Smart (WTSE p. 35) by Shel Silverstein


#9 Choose your friends WISELY
The Yipiyuk (WTSE p. 109) by Shel Silverstein


#10 Discover the world because the T.V. will not discover you
Jimmy Jet and His TV Set (WTSE pages 28-29) by Shel Silverstein



#11  Find your own gifts and talents and learn to LOVE yourself just the way you are!
Ourchestra (WTSE p.23) 
& Listen to the Mustn'ts (WTSE p.27) by Shel Silverstein
#12 Never lose your sense of wonder
Where the Sidewalk Ends (WTSE p.64) by Shel Silverstein

#13 Don't wait for miracles to happen... Carpe Diem & MAKE miracles happen!
Lazy Jane (WTSE p.87) by Shel Silverstein

#14 Be a BLESSING to those around you
Dancing Pants (WTSE  p.126) by Shel Silverstein

#15 Teachers: Speak clearly while giving directions.
Students: Listen carefully when given directions.
Spaghetti (WTSE p.100) by Shel Silverstein

#16 There is always a solution to every problem you face... you just have to be proactive..
Boa Constrictor (WTSE p.45) by Shel Silverstein


#17 Moderation is KEY
Band-Aids by Shel Silverstein (WTSE p. 140)

I hope I brought a smile to your face!!

4 comments:

  1. Thank you a lot for that in style(p) educators day rates. I most certainly will let in this around my educator’S 24-hour interval dialog. For further lecturers day quotes you tin see the site.
    on myteachersday.in

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a great post! Thanks so much :)

    Rae
    Mindful Rambles

    ReplyDelete
  3. AGREE!!! Love Silverstein even more than Seuss!

    Ali
    Teaching Powered by Caffeine

    ReplyDelete

Love Notes...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...